The Bra’ (from the German "breit", meaning "broad") began to be defined as a square only around mid sixteenth century, when Michele Sammicheli built the Palace of the Honours and gave a correct perspective to the Arena, limiting the perimeter of the future square towards the west. Another contribution was made by construction of the Palace of the Grand Guard, which defines the southern limit of the area. After paving of the area, which was finished in 1782, the Brà became the preferred place for a vespers stroll, instead of Lord’s Square. Around mid XII century, it was used for the wood, hay, straw and livestock market, to the extent that ancient documents often refer to the Brà as the “livestock market”. The traditional fair of Saint Lucy survives as a remnant of the ancient custom of holding a fair in Piazza Brà. This recurrence takes place each year between the 11th and 13th of December.