This building, originally dating back to the 12th century, was owned for a long period by the Dal Cappello family, whose coat-of-arms is carved into the keystone of the courtyard inner archway. Identification of the name Cappello with that of Capuleti began the popular belief - already widespread during the last century - that this was the home of Juliet, mythical heroine of the Shakespeare play, set in Scaligeri Verona. Its current appearance is the result of radical restoration work (1936-1940), during which the windows, gothic-style doorway and famous balcony were all added to the interior facade.
Inside the house are furnishings from the 16th-17th centuries, frescoes, and paintings - all relating to the story of Romeo and Juliet - as well as Renaissance ceramics from Verona. A bronze statue of Juliet by sculptor Nereo Costantini stands in the courtyard.