The Romans built the Amphitheatre outside Verona's first circle of city walls in the first part of the 1st century AD. It hosted games where gladiators would fight each other or wild animals before a vast public that came from all over the territory. The Arena held around 30,000 spectators and had four main entrances, corresponding to its two axes.
The facade, of which there is still a small section (the so-called "Ala" or "Wing"), was entirely built in large blocks of white and pink limestone from nearby Valpolicella. In the Middle Ages, stones from the Arena were taken for use on other buildings. Later, it resumed its role as a site for shows and events: a role it continues to play today for the annual summer opera season, which began in 1913.
Since the Renaissance, there have been numerous large restoration projects, leading to the gradual reintegration of the tiered seating inside. For some years, a large-scale project has been in progress to ensure the preservation and dignity of the Arena.